Working Holiday

Your guide to arrival + survival in Melbourne...


Australia Working Holiday Visa & Tax ID

You probably already have your working holiday visa for Australia but if you don't, you can apply for one from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship website here. If you are from one of the eligible countries listed for the visa, you may be able to apply online. Note that there are two different categories - the 417 and 462 - so be sure you apply for the one specifically designated for which country you are from.

Tax File Number (TFN)
If your going to work legally in Australia, then you have to pay tax...and in order to pay tax, you will have to get a Tax File Number or TFN. You can apply for them online or in-person when you arrive in Melbourne. Have a look at the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) process for getting your tax number here. Remember, you are classified as a Working Holiday Maker regarding all tax purposes. If you want to get your TFN before you arrive, you can apply for it here and receive it in 10 days.

It is very important to know that you will have a superannuation added to your paychecks by your employer (if you are working a non-cash/legal job). Superannuation is a form of social security which provides money for Australians when they are old enough to retire.

Although you are not Australian, you are still having this tax taken from you...but don't get too worried because you can apply to have it refunded to you when you leave Australia, but not before. You can read about the refund process on the ATO website or you can apply here to have it refunded for you.